[MPlayer-users] Random behavior while seeking in flv over http

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Jul 31 18:03:56 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:50:19AM +0200, Gautier Berthou wrote:
> I'm reading a flv file over http with mplayer and I don't understand
> mplayer behavior when I try to seek : some time it sends a get
> request, some time it doesn't (it always sends one when I seek
> backward).

This depends on how far ahead the read request are and how full the
cache is.
If you made the cache large enough (e.g. larger than the file),
even seeking back should not send a request, otherwise that's a bug.

> And when it sends a get request the bytes range is not always the good
> (it's the good when I seek backward) : I ask to seek to 85% of the
> movie the byte-range asked look more like the current reading position
> and then mplayer wait until the downloading reach 85% of the movie to
> restart to read.

I don't think MPlayer supports an index for seeking, so it just does a
kind of binary search for the right position.
When seeking backwards you probably mean to a part that was already
played - in that case it put the position in the index and knows exactly
where to go.