[MPlayer-users] Mplayer tweaks for low end hardware

Vijay Anand vijay.gunasekaran at mobax.com
Fri Jun 4 11:21:40 CEST 2010

Oliver Seitz wrote:
>> I have given below the configuration of a low end system
>>
>> Motherboard - Intel 945GSE
>> Processor - Intel Atom CPU N270  1.60GHz
>> Ram - 1 GB
>> Graphics - Intel GMA950
>>

> If the motherboard is 945GSEJT, I've tried exactly that hardware. I found
> out it plays mpeg4 at 1080p smoothly when the bitrate does not exceed
> 10MBit.
>
> It's been a while, but I think it was FreeBSD with Xorg installed from the
> ports collection.
>
> Greets,
> Kiste

Thanks Kiste for the reply. But my configuration is Ubuntu Karmic and I
believe the video intel drivers also may be a cause for the issue bcos
it also shows up X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) most
of  the time while loading video.

So I would like to move on to SDL with DGA instead and direct the
mplayer output to this window.

I need to create a SDL surface within a GTK window which is a top level
window at a fixed position on the screen. Then map the SDL surface
window Id to mplayer for displaying video on to it.

I tried the window Id hack (gtk-demo) & Example on how to output Mplayer
video on SDL windows (gtksdl) but SDL opens its own window after the
SDL_SetVideoMode call and then the display goes back into the GTK window.

My requirement is just to have a SDL window at a fixed position within a
top level GTK window and pass the window Id of this sdl window to
mplayer which then will take care of the rest.

Vijay.