[MPlayer-users] DVD playback error (latest SVN) (FIXED)

Stephen Stocker lpar at terraworld.net
Mon Jun 7 12:17:53 CEST 2010

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 08:57:58AM -0500, Stephen Stocker wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, r31155 and 31156 are both fine, so it has to be 31157. Thanks
>>> again, and apologies for the noise on the list.
>>
>>   Just a note to let you know this error is now fixed, in r31336.
>> Working like a charm again. Thanks. :)
>
> Right forgot to say, and good to know.
> But looking at it again, I suspect that you never set a region code
> for the DVD drive?
> These days, DVD drives are not supposed to let you play videos unless
> you have set a region code (this is mostly what all this is about).
> For some reason yours (incorrectly?) does, but otherwise setting a
> region (e.g. with the regionset tool) should help (it should not
> matter which you set for MPlayer at least - luckily since regionset
> doesn't tell you which region corresponds to which geographical area).

  That's correct, thanks. I'd never even checked the region, being basically
ignorant about computer DVD drives. All I knew was that the DVDs here were
region 1. Having done some reading on the subject (and grabbed regionset),
I'm curious to see whether any disc will cause problems without setting it.
At least I know what to do if I run into the problem. :)