[MPlayer-users] mplayer has sync issues that xine does not have

Mike Castle dalgoda+mplayer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 09:23:08 CEST 2010

MPlayer SVN-r31332-4.4.4 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team

When playing a certain DVD full of extras, mplayer is having sync
issues right from the beginning.  It happens on most of the tracks on
this disc.

If I use -dumpstream and save to a vob, it still has the same problem.

Using any other player on the vob works fine (xine, totem); xine also
handles the DVD fine.

If I use -sb 400000 against the vob, mplayer then plays fine.

Some output from xine:
av_offset=0 pts
spu_offset=0 pts
xine_play
video discontinuity #2, type is 2, disc_off 11856
waiting for audio discontinuity #2
audio discontinuity #2, type is 2, disc_off 11856
waiting for in_discontinuity update #2
load_plugins: plugin spucc will be used for spu streamtype 02.
load_plugins: plugin a/52 will be used for audio streamtype 00.
audio_alsa_out:open pause_resume=0
output sample rate 48000
audio jump, diff=-84085
audio_out: inserting 49690 0-frames to fill a gap of 93193 pts
play_internal ...done
video jump
video_out: throwing away image with pts 81117 because it's too old
(diff : 8822).
video_out: throwing away image with pts 84120 because it's too old
(diff : 5819).
ao_flush (loop running: 1)
input_cache: read calls: 26416, main input read calls: 3336
input_cache: seek_calls: 71, main input seek calls: 8

So, I understand the disc is pretty messed up, and I can work around
the problem.

Still, it would be nice if it worked automatically, rather than me
having to figure out what the skip value should be on each track.  Any
suggestions on how to achieve that?

Thanks,
mrc