[MPlayer-users] Keyboard/mouse lockout with Mplayer

Bev bashley101 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 01:21:04 CEST 2010

I have been using mplayer version: MPlayer-1.0pre7try2 for quite some time
now. Since I originally built the package, compiler development has moved
on and the package will no longer build.

Accordingly I downloaded the latest snapshot and built that under kernel
2.6.29.6 using gcc version 4.3.3. The build was successful but I am having
problems running the resulting mplayer. I could run the older (pre7)
version under console mode (no X) using something like 'mplayer movie.avi'
and I would get a full screen picture, and the keys on my keyboard were
enabled.

Using the new version of mplayer (mplayer-export-2010-06-06) I get a full
screen picture, but my keyboard is disabled. I can't stop the play, I can't
switch to a different console, nothing. I have to log into the machine from
outside and shut mplayer down.

However, if I invoke the new version as 'mplayer -vo svga movie.avi' I
retain keyboard function, but the picture is small and jerky. I have built
the SDL library and if I invoke mplayer as 'mplayer -vo sdl movie.avi' I
get a full screen good picture, but again my keyboard is disabled.

In order to track the changes made since the pre7 version I went back to
your site and tried MPlayer-1.0pre8. This version does not build and halts
with the following error messages:

In file included from ao_mpegpes.c:28:/usr/include/linux/dvb/audio.h:79: error:
expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'audio_attributes_t'
make[1]: *** [ao_mpegpes.o]
Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/stuff/MPlayer-1.0pre8/libao2'

I understand c programming and there is nothing wrong with the line from
audio.h: typedef uint16_t audio_attributes_t;

In fact, I have built that kernel from the source package that includes
the file audio.h.

I can't seem to find any version after 1.0pre8 and the current version
that I can try to compile. I am trying to track down where, in the
development progress, the loss of keyboard function started.

Can someone please suggest how I can run the latest version of mplayer under
the console and still retain keyboard function?

Alternatively, can you provide a link for some older version of mplayer
that will build?

TIA.

--
Cheers, Bev