[MPlayer-users] Problem compiling Mplayer from SVN

Steven P. Ulrick junk at afolkey2.net
Sun Jun 13 03:26:29 CEST 2010

Hello Everyone,
I was just trying to compile a completely fresh download of Mplayer from SVN:
svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer

This is my configure line:
./configure --disable-libvpx-lavc --disable-musepack --
prefix=/usr/local/spu/spu-$(xdate)/mplayer

I disabled musepack and libvpx-lavx a long time ago, because I have not been
able to get Mplayer to compile on my Fedora 13 system with those two items
enabled.

"configure" goes fine, but when I run "make", this is the result:
/usr/bin/ld: libmpdemux/demux_gif.o: undefined reference to symbol
'DGifGetScreenDesc'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'DGifGetScreenDesc' is defined in DSO /lib64/libgif.so.4 so
try adding it to the linker command line
/lib64/libgif.so.4: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mencoder] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/usr/bin/ld: libvo/vo_gif89a.o: undefined reference to symbol 'QuantizeBuffer'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'QuantizeBuffer' is defined in DSO /lib64/libgif.so.4 so try
adding it to the linker command line
/lib64/libgif.so.4: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mplayer] Error 1

I have had similar issues compiling Emelfm2 and Inkscape on this Fedora 13
system.  The successful workaround in both of those cases was to do what the
error message said: add the appropriate item to the linker command line.  So,
since the error with Mplayer refers to "/lib64/libgif.so.4", I added the
following to the commands that I use to compile Mplayer:
export LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -lgif"

Unfortunately, that did not work for me...

Here is the entire script I use to compile Mplayer:
> #!/bin/sh
>
> alias xdate="date '+20%y%m%d'"
>
> cd /home/steve/CVS/Assorted-CVS-Modules
> rm -rf mplayer
> svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
> cd mplayer
> ./configure --disable-libvpx-lavc --disable-musepack
> --prefix=/usr/local/spu/spu-$(xdate)/mplayer export LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -lgif
> -lungif"
> make -j5

The script is named "UpdateMplayer" and it is called by this alias in my
~/.bashrc:
alias UpdateMplayer='source UpdateMplayer'

Again, this system is running Fedora 13, and I was last able to compile Mplayer
on this system last night (June 11th.)

So, any help  you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Steven P. Ulrick