[MPlayer-users] Problem using MPlayer and ALSA

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:13:10 CEST 2010

2010/6/14 Pierre CLARENC <pierre.crc at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> > I see no improvement using -cache option :
> >
> > ./mplayer rtsp://mylink/monfichier_mp3.
> mp4 -ao alsa -ac ffmp3 -cache 8192
> > -cache-min 4
> >
> > Message is always the same when sound is crashing :
> >
> > [AO_ALSA] Write error: Broken pipe Audio : 100.1%
> > [AO_ALSA] Trying to reset soundcard.
> >
> > Another indication : when I use ALSA, pourcentage indicated (100 *
> > audio_time_usage / mpctx->delay) is always about "100%". When I use OSS,
> > the
> > value is smaller : about "10%" maximum.
> > I have noticed that when I use ALSA, it tries to decode much data at the
> > same time than when I use OSS. Maybe, there is a link ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Pierre
> >

> >> which alsa device are you using since you only specify -ao alsa ?
>
> >> what is the default device ?  ( pulse , hw:0,0 or plug:dmix:0 )
>
> Indeed, when I specify a device (hw:0,0), it works !
>
> So, I have some questions because I don't really understand why...
>
> First, what's the default device used by MPlayer with ALSA ?

How can I ses that ?

 you can use device=pulse , device=hw=0 or device=plug=dmix=0 to find out
which device produce the same error

or

you have to ask mplayer developer since "mplayer -v -ao alsa any.wav" does
not show the "default" device is which device , need to use snd_pcm_dump()
to display the device

> Does it create a latency which causes trouble to MPlayer to decode
> audio sample in time ?

hw:0,0 mean using the alsa hardware device
pulse mean using pulseaudio ( sound server )
plug:dmix:0 mean using dmx