[MPlayer-users] Two problems DVB tuning and crashing

Till M tillm at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jun 23 00:24:26 CEST 2010

First:
In Australia recently a new dvbt channel was introduced channel 31.
I can't seem to tune this channel using latest mplayer.  Tzap tunes it
fine and I can view its stream with mplayer reading from
/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0.  I can tune all other channels fine.
this is what I get from mplayer:

$ mplayer dvb://1@Channel_31
MPlayer SVN-r31527-4.4.4 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
154 audio & 339 video codecs

Playing dvb://1@Channel_31.
dvb_tune Freq: 557625000
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 6 failed with errno 0 when reading 1484 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 5 failed with errno 0 when reading 1484 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 4 failed with errno 0 when reading 1484 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 3 failed with errno 0 when reading 1484 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 2 failed with errno 0 when reading 1296 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 1 failed with errno 0 when reading 1108 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 6 failed with errno 0 when reading 1860 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 5 failed with errno 0 when reading 1108 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 4 failed with errno 0 when reading 1108 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 3 failed with errno 0 when reading 1108 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 2 failed with errno 0 when reading 920 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 1 failed with errno 0 when reading 920 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 6 failed with errno 0 when reading 2048 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 5 failed with errno 0 when reading 2048 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 4 failed with errno 0 when reading 1860 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 3 failed with errno 0 when reading 1860 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 2 failed with errno 0 when reading 1108 bytes
dvb_streaming_read, attempt N. 1 failed with errno 0 when reading 1108 bytes

Second:

I use tzap to save dvb streams to hard disk using tzap -a 0 -r -S -o
/dir/file.ts TV_Channel

I can't use mplayer -dumpstream as it's not very reliable read on.

When I play these files back with mplayer -vo xv -ao alsa:device=spdif
-afm hwac3 -vf yadif file.ts, some of them cause my whole system to lock
hard, but not always in the same place and not always the same file.
Sometimes the problem file will play through with no issues.
disabling the deinterlacer doesn't help :(

If I play the files using:
-vo vdpau:deint=4 -vc ffmpeg12vdpau,ffh264vdpau
The files don't crash my system, but they stutter, get wildly out of
sync and show all manner of corruption on the screen whenever a glitch
in the stream is encountered.  Playing the same file in the same
location using xv driver plays fine, apart from the random crashing.

Running these files through projectX, it finds many errors and fixes
them and then they play back fine, although not always using vdpau
driver.  Using projectX to view live tv is not an option unfortunately.

my system is a core2 duo E8600 with 1 gig of ram and a GT240 1gig ddr3
nvidia video card using latest nvidia drivers. Im running debain
squeeze.  This is connected to my hdtv via hdmi.
I'm compiling mplayer myself using standard options.

How can I get more info on the crashing problem when my computer is
locking up hard? Nothing shows up in any logs or anything that I can find.

Or can someone make any suggestions as to what might be causing my problem?

--
Regards Till