[MPlayer-users] mplayer cache option greatly reduces performance

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Mar 14 15:35:06 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 05:14:33PM +0300, Ilya Basin wrote:
> Hi. Thanks for quick answer.
> RD> Try with different -cache-seek-min values and -demuxer mov.
> RD> Possible causes in addition of suboptimal behaviour of the mov demuxer
> RD> are bad/insufficient interleaving in the files.
> "-cache-seek-min" doesn't seem to have any effect. Your point was,
> mplayer often seeks, so "0" value should stop it from waiting for the
> buffer to fill, right? It seeks, that's true:
> Out of boundaries... seeking to 0x10471800
> Out of boundaries... seeking to 0x3E000
> Out of boundaries... seeking to 0x10471800
> Out of boundaries... seeking to 0x40800

That obviously is a non-interleaved file. There are a rare few occasions
where it makes sense, but usually it's a sign that whoever created those files
was incompetent.
I think you can set MPlayer options in the config file based on extension,
which might help here if it works.
Other options are
- using mplayer file.mp4 -audiofile file.mp4
- remuxing the files to be properly interleaved (I would guess MP4Box or similar
  software could handle that).
- optimize MPlayer's cache to handle this case better