[MPlayer-users] Automatic Video Window Placement

DaveG mplayer01 at dgmm.net
Tue Mar 16 01:35:13 CET 2010

On Monday 15 March 2010, James Board wrote:
> When I run mplayer in fullscreen mode with the Gnome desktop using the
> default window manager (metacity) the main video window is automatically
> placed on the screen.  That's good.
>
> But when I use Gnome with a different window manager, or when I run X11
> without Gnome, then I have to click twice in order to place the window on
> the screen.  That's no good for me.  If I use the -geometry option, then I
> only have to click once.  Still no good.  I'd like to be able to play files
> from my couch and not require a mouse to place the window on the screen.
>
> Does anyone know how I can force mplayer to do this?  I'm guessing there's
> no option avaiable for it, since "everyone" just runs Gnome, and I'll have
> to modify the source code.  But, I'm having trouble finding out where the
> main window is created.  Does anyone know which source code file contains
> the code that creates the main window in X where the video is displayed?

First off, not "everyone" runs gnome.

Secondly, window placement is a function of your window manager  - the clue is
in the name.

What do you mean by running gnome with a different window manager?  Which one?
And are starting the whole Gnome system on top of another window manager?

What do you mean by running X11 without gnone?  You get a grey screen with
black X mouse pointer?  Or do you mean you are running the default TWM (hint,
that's a window manager, a seperate programme from X11.  Or do you mean you
are stating mplayer from inside .xinitrc or something?

--
Dave