[MPlayer-users] Automatic Video Window Placement

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 02:48:13 CET 2010

> Yes.  twm doesn't auto-place windows.  You have
> to move/click it in to place.

That isn't exactly true.  twm can and does auto-place windows with many other applications.  It just can't auto-place windows with mplayer.  I assume that the mplayer developers didn't add whatever code, or option, to automatically place windows that all the other applications which successfully run under twm are capable of.  Probably because "nobody" uses twm (note the quotes, this time).

I want to find that code, figure out which subroutine is responsible for creating the video window, read it's man page, and hopefully fix it myself (I'm not just whining here).

But, I'm having trouble sifting through the mplayer source code to figure out where the main video window is created (function indirection in the video codec part is making it tougher to trace).  Any help finding this subroutine would be much appreciated.