[MPlayer-users] GPL question

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Mon Mar 22 02:25:31 CET 2010

> As long as it is separate binaries that is usually considered a "mere
> aggregation".
> Even a frontend calling them via the command line is not considered a
> "derived
> work" under the GPL. Which is the case for "intrusive" ways which still do
> not
> involve direct linking probably will only be decidable by a judge.

I have never appreciate the wisdom of this. What it seems to say is: you can
use [GPL software] as part of your program, but you must do it in a backward
and inefficient manner.

Most users will not understand this distinction, and in the case of a
frontend calling the executable behind the scenes, will not even be aware
that there is a distinction to be made.

Really, who does this help?