[MPlayer-users] maximum resolution: how to extend ?

Adrian Daerr add at quantentunnel.de
Wed May 5 18:47:08 CEST 2010

> Any such limits can either be extended or worked around.
> How depends on which limit exactly you hit, we'll need at least some
> information
> (like MPlayer output) to know what exactly is the problem.

Apologies for not having included at least that. The system is an up-to-date Debian testing Linux. In my set-up mplayer is running with input from a fifo into which the video data is streamed by another program:

mplayer -slave -quiet -input nodefault-bindings:conf=/dev/null -demuxer rawvideo -rawvideo fps=25:w=2500:h=2000:y8 -vf bmovl=0:1:bmovlfifo streamfifo

The following simplified command-line reproduces the problem with the same mplayer output (up to details concerning bmovl which is not included here). It should execute as is on a Linux system:

mplayer -quiet -demuxer rawvideo -rawvideo fps=10:w=2500:h=2000:y8 /dev/zero

yielding the following output:

MPlayer SVN-r30656 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing /dev/zero.
rawvideo file format detected.
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
[VO_TDFXFB] This driver only supports the 3Dfx Banshee, Voodoo3 and Voodoo 5.
s3fb: Couldn't map S3 registers: Operation not permitted
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
Opening video decoder: [raw] RAW Uncompressed Video
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
[swscaler @ 0x3151520]using unscaled gray -> yuv420p special converter
VO: [xv] 2500x2000 => 2500x2000 Planar YV12
Source image dimensions are too high: 2500x2000 (maximum is 2048x2048)
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
VDecoder init failed :(
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffrawy800] vfm: ffmpeg (RAW Y8/Y800)
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
Error while decoding frame!
Error while decoding frame!