[MPlayer-users] VDPAU stuttering when playing x264 encoded media

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Wed May 5 20:38:47 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 19:18 +0100, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 17:58 +0100, Tom Evans wrote:
> >> exposes other problems, like the screen not being cleared when the
> >> media finishes playing (the last frame is left on screen).
> >
> > What do you mean by "frame is left on screen"? The video plays in a
> > window and the window is closed when the player exits. What is left
> > after that?
> >

> Not in all use cases, I run mplayer from .xinitrc, like so:
>
>   /usr/local/bin/mplayer -idle -slave -input file=/home/tom/.mplayer/cmd.fifo

OK so you mean the window staying open when switching to idle mode.

> In this scenario, mplayer does not exit when the media ends playing.
> In this scenario, svn-mplayer clears the screen, hiding any window,

> Nevertheless, git-mplayer behaves differently to svn-mplayer in this
> respect, so clearly there exists some difference between the two to
> account for this.

This is due to a difference in default option values: git has -fixed-vo
enabled by default, meaning that the same window is kept open and reused
when switching to a different video of reconfiguring during one video.
svn has -nofixed-vo by default. The idle mode behavior is a side effect
of this (with -nofixed-vo the window is completely destroyed when a
video is closed, with -fixed-vo it stays around for reuse).

You can get the same behavior as in svn by using the -nofixed-vo option.
However that has some negative effects; the non-fixed-vo behavior is
especially annoying when playing Matroska files with ordered chapters,
which results in some window reconfiguration events (this doesn't matter
in svn since svn completely lacks support for playing ordered chapters
at all). It should be no worse than svn though.