[MPlayer-users] VDPAU stuttering when playing x264 encoded media

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Wed May 5 22:26:47 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 17:55 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala <at> pp1.inet.fi> writes:
>
> > There are several unfixed VDPAU-related issues in svn btw
>
> You mean like "performance of de-interlacing is better with svn"?

I mean the various bugs, limitations and performance disadvantages in
svn. Are you seriously trying to give the impression that svn would
_not_ be significantly worse? IMO that's quite silly given how obvious
the differences are.

There is one specific case with software decoding, field-separating
deinterlace and particular display refresh rate/playback speed ratios
where git spends more time waiting in the VO (when using hardware
decoding git is faster; at higher display refresh rates the effect
doesn't occur, and at lower refresh rates svn fails instead due to its
flip limitation). I think I can improve that case pretty easily (the
details of the current code are partially due to problems with earlier
NVIDIA drivers, which have been fixed in later versions). And on the
other hand in svn _all_ field deinterlace cases have at least timing
problems and limitations such as framestep skipping the added fields.