[MPlayer-users] Jerky 1080p h264 playback

Muzer muzerakascooby at gmail.com
Sun May 16 13:26:48 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to watch Avatar (a rip from the BD that I made myself with
makemkv) with mplayer. I have added a load of options to try to improve
the playback quality, as it was extremely jerky and stuttering before -
now it's watchable, but still not perfect.

The command-line I use is:

mplayer title00.mkv -channels 6 -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau -lavdopts
threads=3:skiploopfilter=all:fast

I have disabled compositing in kwin - that makes a difference.

I have tried using xv instead of vdpau, and the quality is virtually the
same, which raises the question of whether vdpau is actually doing its job.

The exact nature of the jerkiness is that it runs reasonably smoothly
for about a second, then does a little freeze in the picture and jumps -
all within about half a second. Sound remains smooth. This repeats. This
is unnoticeable during most scenes, but really distracts you from the
large, sweeping panoramic views.

I am using mplayer from the Ubuntu Lucid repo - I will try the SVN if
you think it might help.

I am using pure ALSA as my sound output, but with a custom plugin that
downmixes 5.1 surround to 4.0 (for my 4.0 surround system). I am pretty
sure there is no interference from pulseaudio anywhere along the line.

My CPU is an "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7300  @ 2.66GHz"

My GPU is an "nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT]" - actually
branded PNY. I am using the proprietary nvidia driver from the Ubuntu
Lucid repo - again, if there is a newer one and you think it might help,
I'll try grabbing that.

I have tried enabling the cache and framedrop, all making no difference.

My monitor's resolution is somewhat lower than 1080p, so it has to scale
the video down. However, even if I try to watch it fullsize (with some
of it falling off the edge of the monitor obviously), it still jerks along.

Playing lower-resolution films (though I have not tried any other h264
videos) does not exhibit this problem. I have not tried any other HD
videos either.

Anyone got any clue? Is my computer too poor to play it, or is it a
software issue? If it's a hardware issue, do you think it's the GPU or
the CPU that needs an upgrade?

Thanks a lot,

Muzer.
- --