[MPlayer-users] Jerky 1080p h264 playback

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Sun May 16 18:06:33 CEST 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 12:26 +0100, Muzer wrote:
> I'm trying to watch Avatar (a rip from the BD that I made myself with
> makemkv) with mplayer. I have added a load of options to try to improve
> the playback quality, as it was extremely jerky and stuttering before -
> now it's watchable, but still not perfect.
>
> The command-line I use is:
>
> mplayer title00.mkv -channels 6 -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau -lavdopts
> threads=3:skiploopfilter=all:fast

The lavdopts value makes little difference if you're using ffh264vdpau
instead of libavcodec software decoding.

Does "-demuxer lavf" make any difference (probably doesn't fix these
symptoms though)? Does the A-V sync value shown on the command line stay
near 0?

> I have disabled compositing in kwin - that makes a difference.
>
> I have tried using xv instead of vdpau, and the quality is virtually the
> same, which raises the question of whether vdpau is actually doing its job.
>
> The exact nature of the jerkiness is that it runs reasonably smoothly
> for about a second, then does a little freeze in the picture and jumps -
> all within about half a second. Sound remains smooth. This repeats. This
> is unnoticeable during most scenes, but really distracts you from the
> large, sweeping panoramic views.

This sounds somewhat similar to the symptoms described in

In that case using the git repo with its better VDPAU support helped.
After that I've also added full support for VDPAU's frame queuing
functionality; using that could help with more cases of small jerkiness.

You can test it by building from source starting from
git://repo.or.cz/mplayer-build.git

> I am using mplayer from the Ubuntu Lucid repo - I will try the SVN if

There are also binary builds of the git code for various Ubuntu versions
at https://launchpad.net/~ripps818/+archive/coreavc (the repo is named
after coreavc patches but you don't have to use that functionality).

> I am using pure ALSA as my sound output, but with a custom plugin that
> downmixes 5.1 surround to 4.0 (for my 4.0 surround system). I am pretty
> sure there is no interference from pulseaudio anywhere along the line.

Testing with -nosound could confirm that.