[MPlayer-users] Jerky 1080p h264 playback

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sun May 16 18:10:09 CEST 2010

> When posting to this list you must always, always, use the last SVN
> version,

I must point out (as I often do when this comes up) that this instruction is
impossible to follow for anyone who is not a fairly advanced software
engineer. Creating a build environment sufficient to compile mplayer is
often glossed over as trivial, which is very much not the case, especially
on platforms other than Linux. I will preempt criticism by adding the
following points:

* Yes, it really is difficult. I'm not joking.
* Yes, I have direct experience of doing this on several operating systems.
* No, claiming it's easy will not make it easy
* Screaming at people to do it will not make it possible for them to do it.

If the open source community spent as much time making software easy to use
as they spend claiming it is easy to use, it probably WOULD be easy to use.