[MPlayer-users] Compiling SVN; was: Jerky 1080p h264 playback

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed May 19 11:55:56 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 20:12 -0700, RC wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 May 2010 17:57:26 +0300
>> Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
>>
>> > And what determines that trying to move improvements to svn would not
>> > help users is this: it would take much less effort to fix any problems
>> > in git than to backport features to svn.
>>
>> "Less effort" for you, doesn't help users in any way...
>
> Not only "for me". It's just not possible to create a competitive
> version based on svn without wasting a lot of effort.
>
> Where did you invent that "doesn't help users" from? You think the users
> are unhappy when the code "only" solves their problems but doesn't come
> from your preferred svn? I doubt many of the users themselves agree.

Hi.

As a heavy user of mplayer with vdpau, I have to use the git fork of
mplayer to get smooth playback with vdpau. It makes me insanely angry
that this code isn't merged back to svn, that I have to use a non
official repo, that I have to use a non standard build system that is
built on lots of magic (autoconf + python scripts? I mean really.)

There is no point in having two separate repositories for this work,
and from my point of view, it seems like it is ego rather than any
technical issue that keeps the two separate.

Cheers

Tom