[MPlayer-users] Compiling SVN; was: Jerky 1080p h264 playback

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Fri May 21 08:42:01 CEST 2010

On 19 May 2010, at 15:58, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:

> On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:19:13 +0200 (CEST)
> "Oliver Seitz" <info at vtnd.de> wrote:
>
>> he only thing Uoti has done evil is to offer his work to the public
>> and
>> not keeping it secret ?!
>
> No, he forked the development without changing it's name. Now there
> are two
> separate "mplayers", and to make things more confusing - the
> development
> of which is just one-sided (i.e. SVN fixes go to git, but not in the
> other
> direction).

This has happened many times in the young history of open source.

My distro offers a variety different versions in the sys-kernel/*-
sources category. Is Andrew Morton in the wrong for maintaining a
separate version of the Linux kernel?

Ultimately, we users recognise that there are two versions of mplayer
now, SNV-mplayer and Uoti-mplayer. You could help by using such a
nomenclature; you could refer to "uplayer" if you want to make a
special point about Uoti's version not being the "original" or
"official" one.

This is less problematic and confusing than the distros compiling some
ancient version of SVN-mplayer, distributing it as a binary and then
their users turning up here for help. It seems like even the latest
releases of distros use mplayer snapshots which are a couple of years
out of date. Note that if they used snapshots from git they could more
easily apply bug-fixes in a more granular fashion.

Stroller.