[MPlayer-users] Uoti nonsense, and my parting words

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 16:10:18 CEST 2010

From: Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
>> On the other hand, the dev branch keep alternating between
>> removing bugs and adding new ones, all the time...
> Could you elaborate?
> We release daily, and I can't remember regressions atm.

Do you mean that when devs add new features to the code, these are immediately 100% bug free all the time?
I am sure they are good coders; but even good coders have bugs...
Maybe it will be fixed in a few hours... maybe a few days... maybe more...
Another aspect is the compilation/cmdline options that suddenly change.
Or one feature that disapear because another replaced it.
So, each time you run into a bug, you're being told to checkout the latest release, and so have to go throught the whole thing to try to find what still works and what has changed.
At least that's my experience...
As a comparison, as a sysadmin, I like the feeling of being able to transparently/safely update my distro, without having to go through all the packages/services/configurations to hunt for what could have changed or gonne wrong.
But, at the same time, I can understand that managing 2 (or more) branches, and backporting bug fixes can be a pain if you lack resources.
I am sure the devs are doing their best and mplayer is a great tool ! ^_^

JD