[MPlayer-users] Uoti nonsense, and my parting words

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat May 22 18:43:37 CEST 2010

Phil Rhodes <phil_rhodes <at> rocketmail.com> writes:

> - you continue with the current model in which you can ask people to use
> "latest SVN", but "latest SVN" might sometimes not work

When?
Please don't misunderstand me: I of course know that there were tarballs in the
past that did not compile/did not work correctly, but nearly every day it works
equally or better than the version from the day before!
And when I asked the other day for just ONE example of a regression, a changed
command or configure option, I did not receive an answer.
I meanwhile found a regression;-) (but I don't think it is relevant that vo gl
does not work on some hardware where it is slow anyway.)

> and is in any case not be available to a lot of people without a frankly
> unreasonable amount of messing about.

If you believe we can make the configure-script more user-friendly, please say
so! I am convinced that it works very well, and except for xv-devel, I don't
think much additional installation work has to be done.
And allow me to add that I personally _never_ do a 'make install' in the mplayer
directory, so I always have a second "stable" version on my system: That one
never helps...

Apart from that, note that we had this exact discussion on ffmpeg-devel, and
please believe me, the outcome was a true nightmare!

I'd like to encourage everybody to report bugs here, even if they are not
immediately fixed, things on the mailing lists don't get lost!

Carl Eugen