[MPlayer-users] Transcoding from one aspect ratio to another

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 20:05:25 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Rolf Ernst
<rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org> wrote:
> 1:2.35 is standard anamorphic widescreen.

I've worked with video filmed in many different ratios so while a lot
of widescreen material actually is 1:2.35, to say it's standard is
misleading.  Also in an earlier post you mentioned that reducing
1920x1080 to 720x480 gives you an identical image.  This is misleading
as well.  I understand wanting to keep the conversation simple I guess
but it doesn't hurt to give people accurate information to learn from
either.  It's like calling something black when it's actually grey.