[MPlayer-users] controlling multiple instances of MPlayer (Win7)

Wybe Horsman wybe at horsman.org
Fri Nov 5 11:44:40 CET 2010

Hi,

I digitally restore 8mm films. That often means changing a certain filter or processing parameter (sometime multi-pass processing) and see if the result is better than the original (or previous version). So I have to compare movies. The tricky part is to view multiple movies simultaneously and let them be controlled by a single commanding source (keyboard e.g.)
I discovered that I can control MPlayer via external commands in slave mode. But how can I control multiple instances, all in slave mode, simultaneously?
I think in Unix it should't be so hard: you define a named pipe (fifo) as input and, from the command line, you pipe the keyboard to that fifo device/file. You then let all MPlayer instances use that fifo as controlling input (option -input)
But how can I do that in Windows? Or is there another way to control multiple instances?