[MPlayer-users] Transcoding from one aspect ratio to another

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Fri Nov 5 17:14:23 CET 2010

On 11/5/2010 10:58 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 09:40:43AM +0100, Oliver Seitz wrote:
>>> In that case I should maybe at least mention that your
>>> example with audio made me think if something like
>>> this is possible for video as well.
>>> To be specific, I am talking about e.g. stretching a video
>>> to be more wide than it was originally, but without it
>>> looking strange.
>> In contrast to your suggestion on changeing the image dependent on
>> its content, I remember to have seen something like that built-in in
>> some widescreen TV. It was a different approach though: The center
>> of the image, that usually conatins the more important things was
>> not touched at all, while the sides were stretched more to
>> compensate the missing pixels. There was a smooth gradient from
>> no-stretch to maximum-stretch, perhaps sine-like.
>>
>> It looked so good in fact that I hadn't seen the trick at all if
>> there hadn't been a horizontally scrolling text ticker.
> Should be not too hard to come up with a command-line for
> -vf geq that does this, if someone is motivated to...
They actually do it on one of the HD channels I get (don't quite recall
which one). I have both the SD and HD signal and their HD channel mostly
broadcasts a stretched (as described above) SD signal. Also, as pointed
out, text really messes it up but otherwise it appears like w wide-angle
lens. ... Some of the HD TVs have that mode built-in.

--
/re

"My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea"

Tommy Douglass