[MPlayer-users] Ripping DVDs with the -dumpstream option

Dom H speedsix.lists at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 16 01:06:18 CET 2010

I'm currently using the following command to rip dvds (inc. those
protected with aRRcos etc.)

mplayer -dumpstream dvdnav://1 -nocache -dumpfile video.mpeg

This seems reliable although my very last rip was a foreign language
film which the resultant file seemed to contain no subtitle tracks at
all. Any ideas as to why this could happen? I'm guessing my output
file extension determines the container format, is 'mpeg' the most
suitable? I want to ensure that forced subtitles function as intended
from my rips when passing the -forcedsubsonly option on playback.

Basically I want a copy of the main feature title that will play back
exactly as the original disc would.

Regards

Dom