[MPlayer-users] Ripping DVDs with the -dumpstream option

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Fri Nov 19 16:09:41 CET 2010

On 10-11-19 08:28 AM, Dom H wrote:
> On 18 November 2010 16:01, Rashkae<rashkae at tigershaunt.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 10-11-18 09:01 AM, Dom H wrote:
>>
>>> If it did, it would be the 1streliable (in theory) native linux app to
>>> rip all protected dvds.
>>>

>> Try makemkv
>>
> I was hoping for something free!

Define free.

makemkv does use a binary shareware component, but the paid license is
only required for BD decryption.  DVD conversion is free.  (for that
matter, the program has been in beta since forever, and available to use
free of cost regardless.)
> I'd be interested in hearing what would be involved with expanding on
> the dumpstream option (to preserve the metadata) and if the devs would
> ever consider it.

I can't speak for them, but from what I've gathered over the years, snow
ball's chance in hell.  The 'metadata' is not part of the stream to
begin with, but kept in different files.  Dumpstream itself is not
really meant to be used as we are discussing here (extracting a working
video file),, it just happens to conveniently work in the case of dvd
vob files.