[MPlayer-users] Ripping DVDs with the -dumpstream option

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Sat Nov 20 10:15:26 CET 2010

Rashkae <rashkae <at> tigershaunt.com> writes:
> On 10-11-19 08:28 AM, Dom H wrote:
> > On 18 November 2010 16:01, Rashkae<rashkae <at> tigershaunt.com>  wrote:
> >> On 10-11-18 09:01 AM, Dom H wrote:
> > I'd be interested in hearing what would be involved with expanding on
> > the dumpstream option (to preserve the metadata) and if the devs would
> > ever consider it.
>
> I can't speak for them, but from what I've gathered over the years, snow
> ball's chance in hell.  The 'metadata' is not part of the stream to
> begin with, but kept in different files.  Dumpstream itself is not
> really meant to be used as we are discussing here (extracting a working
> video file),, it just happens to conveniently work in the case of dvd
> vob files.

while dumpstream probably wont be modified in mplayer for ripping dvds, there
is nothing stopping someone else from using mplayer -dumpstream in a frontend
that rips dvds. then this frontend could rip the metadata properly as well.

i wonder if there are any dvd ripping projects on the related projects page of
www.mplayerhq.hu ? ehe

-compn