[MPlayer-users] Mplayer with Stereoscopic using Vdpau

Cristian Sebastian Rocha cristian.rocha at moldeointeractive.com.ar
Sat Nov 27 11:35:53 CET 2010

Reimar,

You're right. Our approach benefits only a few users, but you can not
get the same functionality with less effort. The problem is not the
output surface, the problem is VDPAU decoder, which can not decode
more than 128 macroblocks (2k pixels), so we use interleaved frames.

The sync for de-interlacing of frames is a big trouble.
You need to know the number of context to show the right picture on
the right side. We modified the mplayer.c to calculate it. And while
it's a horrible patch, it is unable to resolve the timing and frame
loss.

You are right, we could use vdp_video_mixer_render to show both sides
in one window. But we divided the frame into two windows because it
was easier to test.  All this effort is not really need, perhaps the
next version does not have this functionality.

Our goal was to achieve a low-cost stereoscopic player, with high
definition and capable of decryption on-the-fly. That is why we
studied several options, where mplayer with vdpau was the best,
although we had to deinterlace.