[MPlayer-users] option to avoid "Audio: no sound"?

Nix niks1024 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 17:30:42 CEST 2010

  On 2010.10.21. 13:47, Frederik Eaton wrote:
>>> I'm in no way  an expert but I'm pretty certain that that should not
>>> happen on any modern  Linux based OS.
>>> The only sane explanation would be that you are running some  very old
>>> software that is directly accessing and hogging /dev/dsp all for  itself.
>>> Hence what software are you  running?
>> personaly, I had many problems with the flash plugin holding on /dev/dsp...
>> Killing it would solve the issue... until next time...
>>
>> JD
> I've noticed that about the flash plugin, but that's another subject... It
> doesn't matter what my audio setup is. I could have specified my USB sound card
> dongle: -ao oss:/dev/dsp1. If mplayer can't use that device, then I don't want
> it to bring up the video and play video without sound - I want mplayer to quit
> immediately so that I can debug the audio problem. I guess there is no option to
> enable such behaviour in mplayer?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Frederik

As far as I know, no, but I have never seen MPlayer codebase nor have I
looked for that feature in the manpage. As for debugging I think you're
digging too deep. It's probably Flash/some other outdated software in
conjunction with probably incorrectly set up sound system, like not
using PulseAudio. For me switching from pure ALSA to PulseAudio fixed my
problems once and for all and even gave me more features like per
application sound control and, call me retarded, but now the sound
output is more similar to how it's on Windows 2003.
P.S. I'm resending this reply as my mail client claims it wasn't
delivered again. Sorry if this ends up as a double post.
Cheers,
nix