[MPlayer-users] option to avoid "Audio: no sound"?

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Fri Oct 22 08:02:27 CEST 2010

> 1) that sounds like a perfectly fine... Rube Goldberg machine

It was an idea. If you have a better one, speak up.

> 2) I really doubt that this should be discussed in users mailing list

So which is the mailing list to ask for new features on?

> 3) yes, i believe that fixing the source of the problem is the right
> approach besides MPlayer is only one of the many programs affected by
> original posters malfunctioning sound system.

There are systems with working sound, there are systems with buggy
sound, there are systems with detachable or network-based and therefore
only temporarily working sound, and there are systems that can't play
sound at all.

Someone asked for a way to make mplayer do certain things in each of
those cases, and the only answer was "turn your system into a TYPE 1
machine".

mplayer tries hard to play even damaged video files. What for? Who would
ever want to play a buggy video? A video in which the middle part is
missing? A Video created by a buggy program?

So in video decoding, there are means to make mplayer accept bugs.
What's the problem if it does this also in a controlled way for bugs in
OS setup?

It may well be that the original poster would be best served by fixing
his sound. Nevertheless I think it may be discussed to add a
"just-run-if-everything-works" option. Of course you can grep stdout for
"no video" and "no audio" and kill mplayer if any of them is found...
But _that_ is what I call complicated.

Greets,
Kiste