[MPlayer-users] How to choose fastest drivers

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Oct 31 04:36:04 CET 2010

JD <jd1008 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> $ mplayer -vo x11 -ao  sdl -nocache  test-vid.mkv

1) Please test with -speed 0.5 (or less if necessary) to find out if A/V desync
is because of performance reasons or because MPlayer doesn't like the sample (in
which case you will have to upload it).
2) Remove all of -nocache -vo x11 -ao sdl and make sure you have appropriate
drivers for gl_nosw (or xv) and alsa (or oss) installed
3) (If necessary) Try -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all
4) Use -lavdopts skipframe=nonref

Please do not skip 2) and protest that only 4) helps!

(I don't know much about ATI: If your card is really so old that it neither
supports gl_nosw nor xv - which I don't believe - you will have to find out how
to use vidix.)

Carl Eugen