[MPlayer-users] saving dvd method?

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Mon Sep 6 17:01:52 CEST 2010

  On 9/6/2010 9:57 AM, Brent Clark wrote:
> Hiya
>
> I dont want to waste anyone's time with my problem, so I will get
> straight to the question.
>
> The question I would like to ask is. Is there any reason why I should
> prefer or use the scripts h264enc or undvd over handbrake?
>
> Ill be upfront by saying I have no knowledge of the intricacies of
> video encoding and editing. But I know I would like a easy method to
> save a high quality copy of my DVD's.
>
> I tried and tested h264enc and undvd, both seems ok but I dont know
> what is the best or what offers what.
>
> The other question I would like to ask is, is this method, displayed
> below, ok?
>
> cd /dir
> vobcopy -m
> h264enc -2p -p ehq
>
> If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
>
> Kind Regards
> Brent Clark
Handbrake knows something such as 'vfr', i.e. it can dynamically switch
frame rates which comes in handy as studio logos are often 29.97 fps
whereas the actual movie is 23.976. De facto you may not notice it but
there are TV series that cannot be properly encoded with mencoder
albeit, very few).

Handbrake can also do hard or soft subtitles, does Dolby Surround
downmix and is generally a lot more user-friendly. It also generally
crashes with BluRay  files but that is another matter ;-).

You can use the GUI or just the command line version.

No, I am not affiliated with the authors.