[MPlayer-users] Unpredictable high CPU load while streaming invalid URLs

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Sep 7 21:33:29 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 11:03:57AM +0200, Anirban Dutta Choudhury wrote:
> But, sometimes, the mplayers with invalid urls slowly grow in memory
> consumption and CPU load. It's very much unpredictable and I do not
> know how to reproduce it. Sometimes, it does not happen even if I run
> the system dor 3-4 days continuously. Sometimes this high bus load
> comes in 10-15 minutes.
>
> I am using following command line options:
> -slave -quiet -nosound -nomouseinput -noconsolecontrols -nojoystick
> -loop 0 -cache 8192 skiploopfilter=nonref -benchmark -wid <X11-ID>
> <rtsp-url>

If it doesn't time out but instead fails quickly (e.g. due to DNS resolution
not working) MPlayer will be very busy opening the same URL over and
over. I can hardly know you don't want it to rety 100s or even 1000s of time
per second to open that rtsp url.
Use -idle instead of -loop 0 and use the frontend to retry playing at
reasonable intervals.

> mplayer version: 1.0rc2-4.3.2

This is ancient. Seriously, calling it "old" is like calling a mummy
"recently deceased".