[MPlayer-users] Matroska files and -vid #

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Thu Sep 9 21:32:15 CEST 2010

With the change to the new matroska demuxer, -vid option now refers to
all tracks in the matroska file, rather than just the video tracks.

For example, if I play a file such as this: with the mkv demuxer:
File 'test.mkv': container: Matroska
Track ID 1: audio (A_AAC)
Track ID 2: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC)
Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/ASS)
Attachment ID 1: type 'application/x-truetype-font', size 45568 bytes,
file name 'Montara-Gothic.otf'
Attachment ID 2: type 'application/x-truetype-font', size 45260 bytes,
file name 'ARLRDBD.TTF'
Attachment ID 3: type 'application/x-truetype-font', size 56924 bytes,
file name 'AVGARDNEclipse.ttf'
Attachment ID 4: type 'application/x-truetype-font', size 4359780 bytes,
file name 'KozMinPro-Bold.otf'

With the mkv demuxer, I can use the -vid 0 option and the video will play.

If, however, I use the new lavf demuxer, -vid 0 will not diplay video.
I instead have to use -vid 1

I encountered this particular problem because it causes problems with
smplayer front-end when playing files muxed like the above, where the
video track is not the first.