[MPlayer-users] CoreAVC with mplayer

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Sep 19 20:19:26 CEST 2010

Ken Bass <daytooner <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Barring that for the time being, is it feasible to re-encode the video files
> to optimize them for playing on a slower PC? Preferably without too much
> loss of quality. Some HD videos (720p mostly) I can play well, and with HD
> quality. But for most (720p and especially 1080p) the video lags the audio,
> and eventually the audio becomes  choppy. I am guessing that changing the
> bit rate would help, but I am only guessing. Any suggestions?

Apart from "all information missing that would be needed to answer the question"
and assuming "only quality matters" (that is usually not true), you can do
ffmpeg -i input -qscale 2 -ab 640k -acodec ac3 out.mpg
to get a high-quality, cheap- copy of your original movie.

(I assume you did already try -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all and -lavdopts
skipframe=nonref and your version of MPlayer is new and compiled with an
appropriate compiler)?

Note that for the typical case "720p" (which would be 720p50 where I live) takes
more time to decode than "1080p" (which can't be more than 1080i25 in the
real-world case).

Carl Eugen