[MPlayer-users] Uncompressed AVI?

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Mon Sep 27 09:05:40 CEST 2010

On 27.09.2010 04:53, Jonathan Isom wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Uwe Dippel<udippel at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I finally have a 1080p monitor (Yahoo!), and started to at least test
>> it. It plays the 1080p sequences of Elephant Dream and Big Bunny
>> absolutely great (as expected).
>> Now, however, I have obtained a sequence of uncompressed AVI and it
>> plays, but very much stuttering. Where should I put the blame? on the
>> codec, player, or simply insufficient data rate from the storage
>> medium?
>> Can someone with more experience please look through the output and
>> enlighten me?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Uwe
>>
>> VIDEO:  []  1920x1080  32bpp  30.000 fps  1990656.1 kbps (243000.0 kbyte/s)
>> ==========================================================================
>>

> Based on this line,  I'd say storage.  that is approximately 240
> megabytes a second.
> Unless you are using some form of raid or a solid state drive,  you
> are lucky to get
> 65 megabytes a second on a run of the mill drive.

There are solid state drives, connected via SATA-II, that claim to be
able to read 285MByte/second, but even with one of those it's not sure
if the data rate is enough. With IDE drives, a RAID-0 with two discs has
a theoretical maximum data rate of 266MByte/second, that isn't plenty
either. So I would say, to achieve such a data rate a RAID of SATA-II
solid state disks would be neccessary.

The best choice for playing uncompressed HD video will be a ramdisk, I
think.

Greets,
Kiste