[MPlayer-users] mplayer 1.0rc3 - CPU load issues

John Stirling js at reciva.com
Tue Apr 5 18:20:41 CEST 2011

We've compiled for arm and have an audio device fixed at 48829hz. We are
having some issues with audio quality when we set this option
-af-adv force=2

If we remove the option then audio quality is fine, but CPU load goes up
from eg 23% to 46% when playing M4A (44.1khz, 243kbps)

If we set these options
-af-adv force=2 -af resample=48829
the CPU load goes up eg from 23% to 40.1% when playing M4A (44.1khz,
243kbps)

It seems like quite a big jump in CPU load just to deal with the
resampling. A comparable test using eg helix goes from 34% -> 36%.

If we keep the option in but provide the audio clocks externally so
there is no need for resampling audio quality seems fine.

Some questions

. Does the increase in CPU load when switching from force=2 to force=1
sound about as expected
. Does the increase in CPU load when switching from [-af-adv force=2] to
[-af-adv force=2 -af resample=48829] sound about as expected
. When the audio device natively supports the sample rate of the source
content will -af-adv force=2 have a (or much) negative effect on audio
quality. It seems fairly good to me..

We'd ideally like to keep CPU load close to what we're seeing with
[-af-adv force=2] but without the audio quality issues. I suspect we
need to make the audio device natively support all frequencies but would
prefer a software solution. I notice ->mul is a double which might be
having some effect when resampling is required...

Thanks
John

--
Reciva Ltd, Unit 1, The Old Granary, Westwick, CAMBRIDGE CB24 3AR
Registered in England & Wales No. 04719949