[MPlayer-users] Strange behaviour of latest mplayer when seeking

Sat Apr 9 18:18:27 CEST 2011

Hi Reimar Döffinger!

 On 2011.04.09 at 16:33:39 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:

> If you have more than one core/CPU it now _definitely_ helps.
> Though number cores/CPUs + 1 probably is a better value.
> Previously it would only help with some H.264 streams.
> The disadvantage is that is causes issues with DR,
> which also means a small slowdown on one core/CPU systems
> (in addition to the multithreading overhead in general).

Well, sadly, multithreading doesn't allow mplayer to do filtering in
multiple threads still; after last upgrade I could play any stream on
single core (well haven't tried higher than 1080p / 30fps), but
performing nearly any kind of filtering on 1080p is still impossible
(and even heavy filtering on 720p).
What saves is that most HD streams don't need any filtering, but slight
sharping can help some of these; so far, unsharp filter + most of 1080p
content is no go, as mplayer can't utilize more than one core for that.

But for weaker systems, multithreaded decoding is really wonderful.

--

Vladimir