[MPlayer-users] ASS subtitles, lack of formatting

Christer Toll christer.toll at bredband.net
Sun Apr 17 21:50:14 CEST 2011

Hi!

I've got a few files with ASS subtitles, and none of them actually use the formatting in ASS (color, positioning, etc). Further, the subtitles don't disappear as they should; they hang around until the next subtitle appears (which means some hang around for quite a while if there is a non-verbal potion of the video. I noticed that the MPlayer docs only lists SSA as supported, but considering they actually show (albeit in a limited fashion) and ASS is advanced SSA, I figured they're supported anyway. Are they, and if so, what am I missing in making the subtitles appear correctly? In case it helps, here's the output and command line for playing the file (sorry for the length. Output denotes information sent through stdout and Error information sent through errout. The error about the system being too slow is near the end of the file):

mplayer -slave -quiet "X:\file.mkv"
Output: MPlayer Sherpya-SVN-r33216-4.2.5 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
Output: 162 audio & 365 video codecs
Output:
Output: Playing file.mkv.
Output: libavformat file format detected.
Output: [lavf] stream 0: video (h264), -vid 0, h264
Output: [lavf] stream 1: audio (aac), -aid 0, -alang jpn, aac
Output: [lavf] stream 2: subtitle (ass), -sid 0, -slang eng, ass
Output: VIDEO:  [H264]  1280x720  0bpp  23.976 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0
kbyte/s)
Output: Clip info:
Output:  title: By the way, my name is - 01
Output: Load subtitles in X:\
Output:
Output: Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Output: Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Output:
Output:
Output: Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
Output: AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 0.0 kbit/0.00% (ratio: 0->192000)
Output: Selected audio codec: [ffaac] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4
Audio))
Output:
Output: AO: [dsound] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Output: Starting playback...
Error: [matroska,webm @ 03ef7140] max_analyze_duration reached
Error: [matroska,webm @ 03ef7140] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may
be inaccurate
Output: Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
Output: VO: [directx] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Planar YV12
Error: Unsupported PixelFormat 61
Error: Unsupported PixelFormat 53
Output: ANS_LENGTH=119.54
Output: ANS_sub_source=2
Output: ANS_sub_demux=0
Error:
Error: Subtitle word '00,,...and that's what happened in my dream.' too
long!
Error:
Error:
Error:            ************************************************
Error:            **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****
Error:            ************************************************
Error:
Error: Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
Error: - Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
Error:   - Try -ao sdl or use the OSS emulation of ALSA.
Error:   - Experiment with different values for -autosync, 30 is a good
start.
Error: - Slow video output
Error:   - Try a different -vo driver (-vo help for a list) or
try -framedrop!
Error: - Slow CPU
Error:   - Don't try to play a big DVD/DivX on a slow CPU! Try some of the
lavdopts,
Error:     e.g. -vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts lowres=1:fast:skiploopfilter=all.
Error: - Broken file
Error:   - Try various combinations of -nobps -ni -forceidx -mc 0.
Error: - Slow media (NFS/SMB mounts, DVD, VCD etc)
Error:   - Try -cache 8192.
Error: - Are you using -cache to play a non-interleaved AVI file?
Error:   - Try -nocache.
Error: Read DOCS/HTML/en/video.html for tuning/speedup tips.
Error: If none of this helps you, read DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html.
Error:
Output:
Output:
Output: Exiting... (End of file)