[MPlayer-users] Quoting and manipulating variables in mplayer slave mode

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Apr 27 23:14:36 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 08:01:16PM +0200, Krzysztof Duchnowski wrote:
> W dniu 27.04.2011 13:39, Lobster pisze:
>
> > Just to confirm you are wanting the OSD to show a internal variable of
> > MPlayer and
> > not one you have within your shell script right?
>
> > I.E you `MPlayer *.mkv` and then try to put $filename (which you assume
> > MPlayer
> > knows as the file currently being plaid) on the OSD to show the
> > currently playing
> > filename?
>

> No.
> That would be an easy task:
>
> echo 'osd_show_property_text "${filename}"' >/mplayer-fifo
>
> He want to suck it in, preformat and then send it out in one mplayer
> command - no love.

Ah, ok. All the talk about quoting got me on the wrong track.
If you want to do any special manipulation the property values
you'll have to read them out an manipulate them in custom code
and then send back.
The closest you can come is printing or not printing something
depending on whether a property is set or not.