[MPlayer-users] Getting the best sound from mplayer

Tue Aug 2 09:27:49 CEST 2011

Hi Grant!

 On 2011.08.01 at 12:44:14 -0700, Grant wrote next:

> I think I was interested in how mplayer resamples because I thought
> resampling was necessary to combine the 6 channels into 2.  Now that
> you've told me resampling isn't necessary in order to downmix, I guess
> I don't need to worry about it.  My sound card handles 16/24 44.1, 48,
> 88.2, and 96.  mplayer should never resample a DVD or Blu-Ray I play,
> correct?

Yes. Well there is rare and irrelevant case of 192khz.

> Shouldn't mplayer let ALSA handle any resampling necessary for the sound card?

For alsa driver, mplayer will always try to use alsa resampling. There
is workaround for old alsa version with buggy resampler, in which case
mplayer will do resampling itself.

Of course, this might won't work if you use non-default alsa device
like "hw".. and is one of the reasons why you shouldn't.

Can't answer af-adv question, sorry.

--

Vladimir