[MPlayer-users] Getting the best sound from mplayer

Tue Aug 2 09:33:11 CEST 2011

Hi Grant!

 On 2011.08.01 at 13:01:32 -0700, Grant wrote next:

> >> I'm also curious about the downmix from 6-channel audio in a Blu-Ray
> >> rip for my 2-channel USB DAC.  Does that take place in mplayer or
> >> elsewhere?
> >
> > In mplayer. This is probably where you lose most quality, anyway. If you
> > are forced to listen to multichannel signal on stereo system, the
> > default resampler might not be what you desire. Mplayer supports
>
> Vladimir, I'm confused why you mentioned the resampler here if
> resampling isn't necessary to downmix.

Just wrong word, I think :)

Actually my logic was probably like this - while downmixing in mplayer
doesn't require resampling (usually! downmixing for headphones with hrtf
filter might require resampling), when talking about whole audio chain,
like going through output driver, then card driver, then audio card then
DAC, there is a chance that resampling takes place somewhere. It happens
with lot of audio cards and with some audio drivers (alsa+dmix for
example), but is probably not a case in your specific case.

I was talking about more universal solutions like pulse which can help
to make sure that resampling happens only once and is of high quality
and doesn't happen anywhere else. Though of course here it wasn't
exactly the right word.

--

Vladimir