[MPlayer-users] -cache problems ( 'Cache not filling' OR 'Cache not responding!' errors)

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 19:51:08 CEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:59:22AM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>> The playback seems to work fine even with the errors present,
>> so I'm not yet sure whether the caching functionality is truly
>> failing, or if something else (cosmetic?) is wrong.
>
> Those are no errors, just warnings.
> And it's mostly a performance issue, meaning MPlayer sits there waiting
> for data when it could already decode the next frame.
> I changed the messages to indicate that it is a performance issue.
> Better suggestions on how to formulate the messages welcome!

Thanks for your reply.  If those aren't errors, then why isn't the
cache filling?  Even if I didn't see the warnings, something is wrong,
as the content stutters as mplayer waits for data.  This problem
definitely wasn't present with the older version of mplayer, and if I
switch to using the old mplayer binary, the stuttering goes away (as
the cache successfully is kept full).

I guess I'm not clear on what "Cache not responding!" really means, if
its merely a warning.  Where is the mplayer cache stored?  Is this in
RAM, or on disk?   What would cause it to not respond, when it
seemingly responds & works for the older mplayer version?

With respect to "Cache not filling, consider increasing -cache and/or
-cache-min!", is this a side effect of the "Cache not responding",
which then causes the cache not to fill?  I'm not understanding how
increasing the value for -cache and/or -cache-min would fix a problem
where the cache is not filling.

thanks!