[MPlayer-users] [Ubuntu] Help wanted: DTS and AC3 passthrough play on only 2 speakers

Norman Ramsey nr.reads.it.all at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 20:04:22 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Norman Ramsey <nr.reads.it.all at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm successfully using mplayer's DTS and AC3 passthrough feature, but I'm
> > getting
> > output only on the two front speakers...
> > I'm running mplayer 1.0rc4-4.4.5 on Ubuntu Maverick.  I'm running with
> ALSA
> > drivers 1.0.23.
>
> What happens when you use a recent version of mplayer instead?

Tom,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I'm not sure exactly how to proceed.
I'm using the most recent mplayer for my Ubuntu distro.
There are no instructions on getting a more recent version.

If you can recommend a particular version you think I should
try, I will download and build it from source.  This will take
approximately forever (the box is a Sempron designed for
low power), so I don't want to guess what version is appropriate.
What version do you recommend?

Thanks,

Norman