[MPlayer-users] -vo directx specify monitor

Morris mo at avpresentations.com
Thu Aug 18 17:56:41 CEST 2011

On 8/9/2011 10:25 AM, Roger Pack wrote:
> Hello.  I noticed that with -vo directx mplayer displays on one
> monitor but not "the other" (output pane is all green, log says):
>
> <vo_directx><ERROR>UpdateOverlay failed
> <vo_directx><ERROR>Overlay:x1:0,y1:258,x2:1680,y2:598,w:1680,h:340
> <vo_directx><ERROR>invalid rectangle

This always happens with directx on windows XP.  I don't know if it
happens on newer versions of windows.  This is a problem with directx
and xp, not mplayer as you'll see the same behavior with quicktime
player or any other playback software.

A couple years ago I was doing a lot of multi screen work and had to use
the gl2 driver to fix this problem.  I was able to play back large
files, up to 3072 pixels wide on a (fairly fast) machine to get 3
screens of 1024x768.  Not sure what performance will be with larger
screen sizes, but the machines were pretty tame by today's standards.

Below are some bat files that you can drop files onto to get playback
across multiple screens.  I haven't used these in a while, so not
positive about the syntax, but they should get you started.

-x  and -y are the width & height of the playback window
-geometry sets the offset from the upper left corner of the first monitor
-ss sets the starting point in the video
-osdlevel 0 keeps on screen display off
-cache may either help or hurt your playback, worked for me...
-loop 0 makes it loop continuously
-vo gl2 sets it to use the gl driver
-noborder makes it play on a black background with no window decoration
-idle -fixed-vo cleans up the loop point
cd /d %~dp0 sets the current directory to where the bat file is (put
mplayer.exe in here too)
%1 is the file you drag & drop onto the bat file icon

rem play video in window 2048x424, starting at 1400 pixels (first
monitor is 1400 pixels wide - play on monitors 2 & 3 @1024x768)
cd /d %~dp0
mplayer.exe -ss 0 -osdlevel 0 -cache 16384 -loop 0 -noborder -vo gl2 -x
2048 -y 424 -idle -fixed-vo -geometry 1400:200 %1

rem play across 3 monitors in a 4 monitor setup
cd /d %~dp0
mplayer.exe -ss 0 -osdlevel 0 -cache 16384 -loop 0 -noborder -vo gl2 -x
3072 -y 512 -idle -fixed-vo -geometry 1600:30 %1

rem  this plays a file in 4:3 aspect ratio on the second monitor only
(-vm -adapter 2) in fullscreen (-fs)  Note this uses directx
cd /d %~dp0
mplayer.exe -ss 0 -osdlevel 0 -aspect 4:3 -cache 16384 -loop 0 -fs -vm
-adapter 2 -idle -fixed-vo %1

Hope this helps.

morris

AV Presentations