[MPlayer-users] identify command displays different video length than is shown when opening the file directly in mplayer

Friðrik Ásmundsson fridrik01 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 18:56:10 CEST 2011

For some video files, I have seen that executing "mplayer -identify <video>
| grep ID_LENGTH" yields different value from the video length displayed
when opening the same file in mplayer.

For example:

mplayer -identify -frames 0 ~/movies/simpsons-s04e19.mpg | grep ID_LENGTH
ID_LENGTH=1482.29

Mplayer is here telling me that this simpsons show is almost 25 minutes
long. If I open this same simpsons file in mplayer, then a correct video
length of 20:40 is displayed in the OSD.

I have seen many other video files having exactly the same problem. Any idea
why the command line is giving me the wrong video length, and how this can
be fixed?

Note: I can verify that this happens on the following mplayer versions:
* MPlayer-1.0rc3
* Mplayer- 1.0rc4-4.5.2
* MPlayer SVN-r34008-snapshot-4.4.5

Regards