[MPlayer-users] -vo directx specify monitor

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Aug 25 21:58:34 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:55:25AM -0600, Roger Pack wrote:
> > yuv=0 means the colorspace conversion is done on the CPU instead of GPU.
> > If you looked at the MPlayer values it's possible it wasn't CPU usage but it was actually waiting for the GPU.
>
> True.  I wish there were an easy way to profile arbitrary programs on
> windows--anybody know how?
>
> It seems to be spending about 20% cpu in a thread in nvoglv32.dll and
> 22% in a thread mplayer.exe FWIW (procexp).

There is also the possibility they broke the DMA engine (or maybe those
integrated versions do not even have one?) for luma-only textures.
You could try the MPlayer -dr and -nodr options, as well as
-vo gl:yuv=1:force-pbo
and
-vo gl:yuv=1:force-pbo:ati-hack
There's also the option of avoiding waiting for vsync, in case they do
that by busy-wait instead of interrupts in that version:
-vo gl:swapinterval=0
Oh, and a very reliable way to track down the bottle-neck is to resize
the video window.
If everything works great if you make it real tiny but becomes slower
and slower until fullscreen then the processing power or bandwidth of
the graphics card itself is the issue.
If it doesn't make much of a difference the it's something else (it can
still be the graphics card, but not directly its processing power).

> > It seems the 6150LE is exceptionally slow (I developed the yuv=1 version on a 51something and it worked fine, but that was a dedicated - though also notebook - GPU).
>
> It does seem a bit old.  I'll try on some other cards on a different
> computer and post back.

It is not just old, it is a cut down version of an already cheap
variant of an integrated GPU.
As far as I can tell it was the lowest of the lowest end when it was
new already (ok, probably not counting Intel and S3 they would probably
be below with no OpenGL support at all for S3).
Such cards tend to be a bit special and might need tricks to get good
performance. I never tried MPlayer on integrated GPUs except some Intel
GMA (which works ok for the low resolution that netbook has).

Reimar