[MPlayer-users] Mplayer compilation errata

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Aug 29 18:45:14 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 09:37:15AM +1000, Nick Andrew wrote:
> > > mplayer builds OK now after reconfiguring. Here's the patch to configure:
> >
> > The git checkout isn't really officially supported.
>
> Then why does it exist?

Kind of out of tradition now.
Also for developers to use instead of git-svn.
In preparation for switching over to git, but preferably in
sync with dvdnav and dvdread.

> > Also, with your patch those checkouts will go stale.
> > Both together mean that I don't think this is a good idea.
>
> This is no different to the git clone of ffmpeg in the previous
> paragraph of 'configure'. I see it's also got code to automate
> pull if 'mp_auto_pull' exists, so how about I add equivalent code
> for libdvdnav and libdvdread4 ?

Maybe. Though since it's not the "recommended/main tree" I don't
know if it's really worth the (even minimal) effort.
I'd expect that developers who want git and thus do not use subversion
would do fine with their system versions or can add it manually.

> > However MPlayer shouldn't just silently fail if dvdnav/dvdread
> > is missing, it should either just switch to trying the external
> > versions or abort.
>
> Yes, and a note in README telling how to get the source.

Well, if failing that should rather be part of the message.
The README would first need a git section before you can add
git-specific information properly.