[MPlayer-users] double mplayer instance when playing HTTP streams

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 1 17:46:44 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 4:36 PM, jacopo mondi
<j.mondi at voltaelectronics.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>    I'm using mplayer in slave mode, and controlling it by mean of a custom
> web browser plugin.
> When playing HTTP streams, I always found two mplayer instances running. One
> is launched by myself, the other shows up after the 'loadfile' command is
> issued to mplayer stdin.
>
> When I have to shutdown the plugin the child remains alive, since I only
> know the father's pid.
> Why does mplayer forks to player HTTP stream? Is there any way to terminate
> both the processes?

mplayer always does this, not just when in slave mode, or playing HTTP streams.

The correct way to stop mplayer in slave mode is to send it the "quit"
command, not to terminate the parent, although I'm surprised sending
TERM to the parent did not kill the child.

Cheers

Tom